Founded in 1987, Van Horn Consulting (VHC) examines energy and environmental markets and contracts, analyzes competitive and regulatory issues, reviews proposed projects and technologies, and devises business strategies.
VHC provides independent reviews, evaluations, litigation support and expert testimony regarding electricity, emissions and natural gas markets and contracts.
We have conducted major studies for public and private market participants, EPRI, EPA, electric and natural gas utilities, independent power producers and pipelines.
From 2007-2014, VHC served as Independent Evaluators for two major electric utilities in California, examining bidding and contracting for renewables, combined heat and power, conventional and demand-side resources, and natural gas.
Decades of Experience
Analyzed and evaluated electricity, fuel and technology markets, regulations, policies and environmental impacts:
- Assessed and projected market behavior and rules for:
- Future technology costs and performance, market penetration, effects of regulations and R & D for EPRI, EPA, DOE, market participants and interested parties,
- Integrated resource planning,
- Property tax valuation,
- Commercialization and market strategies.
- Evaluated, monitored and reported on
- Requests for Offers for renewable generation, demand response, CHP and conventional electric generation, and natural gas supplies, including economic modeling & valuation methods, short-listing, and the fairness of bids and auctions,
- Negotiations, contract terms and conditions.
- Conducted reasonableness reviews, prepared and delivered expert testimony in civil, bankruptcy, FERC and state regulatory proceedings,
- Advised developers of innovative technologies
- Andy is a member of GreenFire Energy’s Advisory Board,
- In 2020 he became GreenFire Energy’s Director of Applied Research, developing and implementing 24/7 reliable, renewable carbon-free Closed-Loop Geothermal (CLG) energy systems on three continents.
Designed, analyzed and helped implement emission performance standards, environmental regulations and emission markets:
- Led and performed national studies of New Source Performance Standards (NSPS), New Source Review, and GHG performance standards and carbon taxes,
- Presented domestic and international lectures on SO2 allowance and carbon cap-and-trade markets,
- Examined and recommended changes to California ARB rules for CO2 and greenhouse gases (GHG), allowance trading, auction behavior & holding limits under AB 32,
- Delivered a seminar to the Korea Power Exchange on the nascent Korean and worldwide carbon trading markets,
- Helped develop cap-and-trade markets for emission allowances – set the price for the first U.S. SO2 allowance trade in 1992, and
- Forecasted allowance prices, compliance strategies and technology cost and performance for EPRI, TVA, Southern Company & others.